Lead Engineer, Spaceship Flight Control Systems
Company: Virgin Galactic
Posted on: August 1, 2022
Who We AreVirgin Galactic www.VirginGalactic.com (SPCE:NYSE) V
irgin Galactic recognizes that the answers to many of the
challenges we face in sustaining life on our beautiful but fragile
planet, lie in making better use of space.Sending people to space
has not only expanded our understanding of science, but taught us
amazing things about human ingenuity, physiology and
psychology.From space, we are able to look with a new perspective
both outward and back. From space, the borders that are fought over
on Earth are arbitrary lines. From space it is clear that there is
much more that unites than divides us. "We are at the vanguard of a
new industry determined to pioneer twenty-first century spacecraft,
which will open space to everybody - and change the world for
good." Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Galactic If you are
looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion
for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally
creative, are a great problem solver, and can make things happen -
apply today!Your Mission Virgin Galactic is seeking a talented and
motivated Engineering Lead for Flight Control systems. This role
will lead a small team of 4-10 engineers within the Spaceship
program. The focus of the team is development and testing of the
flight control system, including flight control computers,
actuators, pilot inceptors, control laws, and sensors. The
responsibilities will span the entire lifecycle, from conceptual
design to flight test and commercial operations. The ideal
candidate will have at least 5 to 10 years of experience with
aircraft or spacecraft flight control systems and / or avionics
- Build, lead and mentor a team of 4 to 10 engineers responsible
for developing and delivering the Flight Control Systems for the
next generation of Spaceships.
- Lead the team to deliver products that achieve technical, cost,
and schedule objectives
- Lead trade studies and requirements development for flight
control system architectures and components.
- Lead system and vehicle level testing consisting of bench test,
ground test, and flight test including test planning, real-time
test monitoring and test data analysis.
- Manage external vendors and internal teams for implementation
and test of components.
- Collaborate with the broader engineering and test team,
including pilots, flight test, system safety, systems engineers,
flight sciences, and production, to achieve approval and buy in
from stakeholders.What You BringEducational Requirements:
- Must have a B.S. or M.S. in an Engineering discipline from an
- Modeling, simulation, and analysis of flight controls using
MATLAB and Simulink.
- Understanding of systems engineering and design assurance
processes for safety critical systems such as ARP-4754, DO-178, and
/ or DO-254.
- Experience with fly-by-wire system development including
- Hands-on experience testing/troubleshooting electronics,
electromechanical systems, and software.
- Knowledge of aircraft flight control system operations, flight
test or pilot experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of aircraft stability and control
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership of small teams including mentoring,
project management, and technical problem solving.Professional
- 10+ years of experience specific to fly-by-wire flight control
system development, integration, or test
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22
- 120.15)As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19
vaccines are required for current U.S. teammates, as well as all
newly hired employees.As of October 1, 2021, all new hires must be
able to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against the
COVID-19 virus, "fully vaccinated" means at least two weeks have
expired since receiving the vaccination's last dose as recommended
by the manufacturer). If you are offered employment, this
requirement must be met by your date of hire.ITAR RequirementsTo
conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations,
applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the
U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR120.15) or
eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S.
Department of State.Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity
Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis
of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced
in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national
origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual
orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any
other legally protected status.
Keywords: Virgin Galactic, Tustin , Lead Engineer, Spaceship Flight Control Systems, Other , Tustin, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!