Director of Project Development - West
Posted on: June 7, 2021
This position can sit in California or Texas as it will be
supporting the west region for ABM Technical Solutions. The
Director of Project Development reports to the Vice President of
Engineering (BES) and will be responsible for leading the
development team on guaranteed energy efficiency projects. To
include: renewable energy projects, and other energy savings
related capital improvement projects, by assisting the team in
identifying, assessing, and structuring technical and financial
solutions to meet customer objectives. The energy efficiency
projects work will be focused on the MUSH (Municipal, University,
School, and Hospital) market, will encompass forms of state
enabling legislation for energy contracting vehicles, and entail
all forms of energy, water, and emission savings technologies.
This individual will lead the development team in identifying
and quantifying energy conservation opportunities associated with
mechanical and electrical systems, HVAC, HVAC digital controls,
building envelope, renewable energy, and other technologies that
save energy and water and reduce GHG emissions.
Responsibilities include: identifying the needs for additional
project developers, performing candidate interviews, working with
HR through the hiring process, performing Grow. Perform. Succeed.
(GPS) with all direct reports, coaching and developing existing
employees, monitoring and approving expense reports. Individual
will also be responsible for ensuring standard BES processes are
being adhered to by both the sales and development/engineering
teams. And provide training for all sales, development and
engineering within the ABM Technical Solutions Business.
Additional responsibilities include assisting team members with:
performing site visits, developing energy savings calculations and
Measurement & Verification baselines, developing preliminary
analysis, and investment grade audits. Individual will also assist
with: subcontractor/vendor qualification, negotiation, and
management during the energy project development phase, developing
associated cost estimates and written descriptions of energy
conservation measures in support of various agency submittals.
Essential Duties List
- Plan staffing levels and make recommendations to senior
management. Work with HR to recruit, interview, select, hire and
employ the correct number of employees.
- Coach, mentor and develop staff, including overseeing new
- Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among department members
that allows for disagreement over ideas, conflict and expeditious
conflict resolution, and the appreciation of diversity as well as
cohesiveness, supportiveness, and working effectively together to
enable each employee to succeed.
- Lead employees using the GPS process that provides an overall
context and framework to encourage employee contribution and
includes goal setting, feedback, and performance development
- Maintain employee work schedules including assignments,
training and vacations.
- Assist the sales staff to screen and qualify the feasibility of
energy efficiency and capital improvement opportunities. This will
involve attending customer meetings, conducting site trips to
collect facility and utility data; and developing and running
energy screening models to determine the technical and economic
viability of energy efficiency and capital improvement
Responsibilities also include assisting the development team
- Develop, define and dimension technically and economically
feasible applications by performing preliminary engineering/design,
project metering and measurements of critical parameters.
- Coordinate with external vendors, manufacturers, and
contractors to develop designs and technical proposals for
solutions and services.
- Develop technical scope of work for selected technologies and
manage internal and external engineering resources in order to
determine cost and schedule.
- Perform analyses and generate applications for utility rebates
associated with energy efficiency projects.
- Drive the technical due diligence from initial screen until
turnover to the project management group for the implementation
phase. This will involve identifying known risks (i.e. technical,
construction, price, schedule, environmental, warranties,
performance guarantees etc.); indicate impact and how they will be
addressed and mitigated.
- Lead and /or support proposal development. Provide the majority
of the proposal input, including detailed technical project
descriptions, measurement and verification methodology and
development, legal risk and responsibility definitions, financial
descriptions, and detailed supporting documentation of contractor
quotes, simulation results, and cost and savings derivations.
- Perform technical consulting assignments as required to support
specific client requests.
- Provide assistance to ABM Technical Solutions' Construction
Group to support implementation of projects, as required.
- Perform role as lead developer to control expenditures within
the limitations of the project budgets and drive the completion of
development activities within project deadlines.
- Draft, review, and evaluate contract documents, drawings, &
- Manage the preparation of technical drawings, documents, and
specifications by subcontractors to the extent required
- Perform initial contact with Suppliers / Manufacturers for
specifications, pricing, and other details.
- Perform comparison studies on suppliers' quotations
- Assist the project management team in the negotiations with
suppliers on both technical and commercial aspects of
- Based on Clients budget constraints for any specific project,
carrying out value engineering studies.
- Undergraduate mechanical or electrical engineering (BE, BS) or
construction related degree or extensive industry experience
required. Advanced degree in engineering or construction management
and/or PE preferred.
- Management experience - Must have prior experience with
planning, directing and overseeing the operations of the BES
- > 10 years of experience in a facility environment or energy
- Working knowledge of building systems, i.e. Chillers, Boilers.
HVAC, and controls.
- Experience on energy performance contract (EPC) projects.
- Be able to assist with ASHRAE Level 1, 2, 3 energy audits.
- Conduct field visits to assist with site walkthrough energy
assessments and collect detailed information.
- Possess highly developed interpersonal, analytical, and
communication skills (oral & written).
- Strong organizational and computer skills are necessary,
particularly the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience in energy analysis to identify, screen, and develop
energy conservation measures for EPC and design build projects;
develop EMS control strategies to reduce energy consumption; and
interface with customer facility personnel
- Ability to plan and manage the development of selected project
opportunities and to direct the activities of internal and external
resources, to achieve deadlines.
- Ability to interact effectively across organizational
boundaries to achieve goals and meet deadlines.
- Measurement and verification skills, including installation of
instrumentation for short-term data logging of power and
- Experience in various utility rebate programs offered for
electrical and gas efficiency projects desirable.
- Design experience is a strong plus.
- AutoCAD proficiency a plus.
- PE, CEM, other certifications very beneficial.
- Must live in California or Texas
Keywords: ABM, Tustin , Director of Project Development - West, Other , Tustin, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!